Sunday, July 5, 2015

Engine Seized: Trip on Hold.

About 20 miles south of Gainesville I noticed a tapping noise and the manifold pressure was tapping with it. ( I installed a manifold pressure gauge some time ago)  I also noticed the low pressure oil idiot light was trembling. Temperature gauge appeared normal as did all other gauges. I slowed down to 25 mph with flashers on and pulled into a rest area about 3 miles further on I-275. Popped the engine hood and it was obvious there was an overheating problem. Checked oil and it showed empty. Added a half gallon and tried to start the van. It was not going to turn over and any more trying would smoke the starting battery so I called AAA. 2 hours later on 4th July we were being towed home.  Looks like the engine has seized up.  Oil had been checked the day before and was down a pint and it was  topped up???

Trip on hold needless to say. It looks like an expensive repair.  We had just spend over $1000.00 to replace the complete air conditioning system so we are disappointed to say the least but happy to be back in full AC and our wonderful bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment