Monday, July 20, 2015

Our search for the Honest Mechanic

I found a place in Hudson, about 45 minutes away that was recommended. Pat and I called the guy and went out to meet him and take him to lunch. There were no vehicles under repair, but some restoration projects were sitting there. There was a small upholstery business on the premises and Gary  McArthy, the owner was showing a new guy the ropes.  We went to lunch and he talked the good talk and he discovered I was a Mason. He was too so he said. Later back at the shop he gave me a computer generated estimate of all the costs.  Its the same program all the garages use with their labour rate factored in.
Later I emailed him to ask the source of the reconditioned engine and the terms of warranty and I did not received a reply so I phoned him and left a msg on his machine, no return call... Three more messages over the next 3 days and still no response so another email and still no response.  I went on line and did some research and here is what I found from the Better Business Bureau.
Feb. 19, 2015 I took my Mercedes to fix a shifting problem, Gary said 1 week. I called for 8 weeks and it was still not done , so I drove there in person and found my car was smashed in the front, he admitted he drove it into something, but when I look at mileage it had 200 miles extra on it, he said if I didn't like it he would give me car back and say it was that way when i got it, so another month went buy and he never fixed my shifting problem and charged me $800 dollars , and did a very bad job fixing body and paint he said what did you expect for free, bottom line my car was mint know it worth thousand less. This gut is bad news - See more at: bbb.org/west-florida/bus…
This report on Yelp!
Many people believe that auto repair shops have always more often than not, have had a stigma for being less than honest. Gary Mccarthy at New Wave Cycles is no exception to the rule.

My experience with Gary Mccarthy led me to notify The Pasco County Sheriff's Office, the Department of Agriculture's Consumer Services, and a consumer attorney. My lawyer was able to obtain records revealing the owner of New Wave Cycles had placed three liens on his customers' titles, in order to confiscate and possess their cars for "unable to pay for repairs".

Three customers within 40 days. (November/ December 2012 - 2013)

In my case, in October Gary replaced a radiator for me for $652.64. The vehicle has been overheating and leaking coolant ever since his initial repair. After going through two more of Gary's radiators he advised me for $89.00 he could diagnose more extensively in order to keep my vehicle from experiencing more expensive damages. I agreed to the $89.00. My very next conversation with Gary Mccarthy revealed that I owed him $1,400 to get the car back repaired and $750.00 to get it back un-repaired, un-fixed with engine parts in the rear of my hatch back, for parts he ordered and work that was currently being done. I never approved, authorized, or signed any paperwork. I only agreed to a $89.00 diagnostic. Then, I had to call New Wave Cycles to find out the result. Gary Mccarthy never called me back to let me know what he allegedly found. He just began "fixing my car". $1,400 worth apparently.

Before using New Wave Cycle please be aware of the Auto Repair Act. Dishonest mechanics rely on the fact that their customers are not aware of their rights and do not realize mechanics are held to a high standard by the state of Florida.

His overt violations are being looked into at this time, as my case is still pending. The sale of my vehicle will happen on his property in March 2013 unless or until the intervention takes place.

Gary Mccarthy's  incompetence in my original repair can only be matched by his dishonesty. New Wave Cycles has possibly found a way to make supplemental income in a down economy. Go outside the original estimate, over inflate the cost of repair, then seize the title, in order to own the car, due to customer not able to pay.

Karma is the cycle of moral cause and affect.

R.Patterson
Hudson,Fl
I see they have a Facebook Page~! 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-wave-auto-repair-and-upholstery/339222249519095

He has several companies I found.
New Wave Auto Repair
New Wave Cycle
New Wave Upholstery
Gary's Affordable Auto Repair

Still looking for an Honest Mechanic~!

consumeraffairs.com

----------------------------


2 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm glad you had the sense to check in him. Good luck wirh you're ongoing hunt for a mechanic, Lyman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We found one but if we say who he is he will be booked solid haha.

    ReplyDelete